The Research Alliance for New York City Schools, an independent research center housed in the Steinhardt School of Education at NYU, is looking for a Junior Research Analyst – Technical/Programmer. Junior Research Analysts will work under the general supervision of the Data Manager and Research Associates.
- Work with Data Manager to develop, maintain, and document data collection, processing, storage, retrieval, and analytic systems for the Research Alliance data archive consisting of multi-level and longitudinal data sets from the New York City Department of Education and other sources.
- Work closely with Research Associates and project managers to clarify data specifications for rigorous research and evaluation designs and to prepare analytic data files that meet those specifications.
- Retrieve and process data from Research Alliance’s data archives and compile complex analytical datasets for research projects.
- Assist with developing and documenting institutional algorithms for procedures such as matching study participants to Research Alliance data archives when standard IDs are not available.
- Prepare clear data processing narratives for reports and papers on research findings.
- Perform other research support work, such as preparing literature reviews, creating graphical representations of data, summarizing results of analyses, documenting procedures, etc.
Requirements and Skills
- Bachelor’s degree (or recent Master’s degree) in education policy, economics, mathematics, statistics, applied psychology, sociology or related social science field.
- Demonstrated programming skills, preferably in SAS (strong skills in STATA, R, and/or SPSS will be considered, but willingness to learn SAS is required).
- Experience working with data; experience with large data sets is a plus.
- Knowledge of statistical methods and willingness to learn more rigorous research and evaluation methods including randomized controlled trials, regression discontinuity, and other statistical analyses aimed at establishing causal inferences for questions about social policy or program effects.
- Strong organizational skills and attention to detail.
- Comfort working with multiple managers and balancing multiple priorities.
- Highly productive working under pressure and within time constraints.
- Knowledge of New York City Department of Education and its data systems is a plus.
- Experience with Unix/Linux environments is a plus.
- Commensurate with experience.
To apply, please visit: http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/research_alliance/careers/JrRsrchAnalystTechnical