The Research Alliance for New York City Schools, an independent research center housed in the Steinhardt School of Education at NYU, is looking for a Fall intern to support projects in communications. This is a fall internship with the possibility of extension through the academic year. It requires a commitment of 15 work hours per week, including every Tuesday and Thursday from 12:30pm – 5pm. Other hours are flexible!
All internships are structured as learning opportunities that will include the chance to participate in internal and external staff meetings, contribute to important Research Alliance projects, and build work experience and professional networks in the field of education policy. This internship also includes 9 hours per week of administrative duties, which will be compensated with a stipend at the end of the internship period equivalent to $10 for each hour spent covering the front desk (approximately $90/week).
Internship Areas and Potential Projects
- Support launch of “Breakfast Briefings” series designed to engage a small group of influential stakeholders around new publications and work in progress.
- Prepare promotional materials for Briefings, organize presentation materials, and write follow-up reports.
- Handle logistics such as invitations, guest lists, and working with vendors.
- Redesign and update staff section of the Research Alliance website.
- Develop new concept and design for staff biography section of the website in order to engage visitors and highlight staff accomplishments.
- Research and interview staff, then write updated biographies based on interviews.
- Support ongoing communications projects, including tracking media coverage of topics related to Research Alliance work; monitoring and developing content for social media; and supporting the development of our mailing list.
- Provide consistent coverage of front desk at specified hours; contribute to friendly and efficient office culture by maintaining strong sense of customer service and responding with warmth and patience to requests made by Research Alliance staff, vendors, and affiliated NYU students, faculty, and staff; receive guests to the Research Alliance and answer general email and telephone inquiries in a welcoming and professional manner.
- Handle urgent administrative requests as needed.
Requirements and Skills
- Current undergraduate student; junior or senior preferred
- Office experience preferred
- Energetic and highly motivated with interest in education research and policy
- Strong editing skills and attention to detail
- Experience with event planning
- Excellent written and oral communication skills; strong internet literacy
Duration and Timing
- Minimum 15 hours per week, including Tuesdays & Thursdays from 12:30pm – 5pm
- Start date: September 16, end date December 20 (with possibility of extension through spring semester)
To apply, please visit http://steinhardt.nyu.edu/research_alliance/careers/CommunicationsOperationsIntern